FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Kelsey Thompson
ATHENS-CLARKE COUNTY SCHOOL GARDEN CHAMPIONS RECOGNIZED
[ATHENS, GEORGIA, March 21] The Athens School Garden Network is celebrating local schools, staff, teachers, and community members for their contributions to farm-to-school and garden-based learning in Athens-Clarke County.
The School Garden Champions award ceremony was held at the Athens Community Career Academy on Wednesday, March 21 at 4:30 p.m.
Farm-to-school programs engage K-12 students across the curriculum in hands-on, food and garden-based learning. The Clarke County School District (CCSD) has received statewide and national recognition for its farm-to-school programs, which have positively impacted our students and district as a whole. In 2017, CCSD received the state’s new Platinum-level Golden Radish Award. It was named the state’s “Outstanding District” for farm-to-school in 2015.
The ACC School Garden Champions Awards is a local award ceremony to celebrate those who make farm-to-school and garden-based learning a success in Athens-Clarke County. This is the first time these awards are being given. All nominees and award recipients have gone above and beyond to make garden-based learning a success at the school level.
The following awards are being given:
- Outstanding Student: Takais Jackson, Clarke Middle School
- Outstanding Elementary School Teacher: Phillip Smith, JJ Harris Elementary
- Outstanding Middle School Teacher: Debbie Mitchell, Clarke Middle School
- Outstanding High School Teacher: Jillian Gordon, Clarke Central High School
- Outstanding School: Clarke Middle School, Tad MacMillan, Principal
- Outstanding Administrator: Amy Peacock, CCSD K-8 Science Curriculum Coordinator
- Outstanding School Nutrition Partner: Anthony Holland, Holland Produce
- Outstanding Facilities Partner: John Cleghorne, CCSD Exec Director, Plant Services
- Outstanding Culinary Partner: Manny Stone, Athens Community Career Academy
- Outstanding Garden Champion Partner: Jacob Kennedy on behalf of Hort2000
- Outstanding Farm Partner: Johannah Biang, UGArden
- Outstanding Business Partner: Taziki’s
- Outstanding Master Gardener or Extension Partner: Sarah Lockman
- Outstanding Parent Volunteer: Lili Hill, Whit Davis Elementary
- Food Justice Warrior: Connie Roberts, Athens Land Trust
Funding for this award comes from a Georgia Organics Farm-to-School “Nudge” Grant.
The Athens School Garden Network includes Athens Land Trust, Keep Athens-Clarke County Beautiful, Athens-Clarke County Extension, and Grow It Know It in partnership with Clarke County School District, UGA Public Service and Outreach, and UGA Extension