All Georgians eat organic food from local farms, transforming our health, our environment, and our economy.
Georgia Organics Believes That:
To Foster a Healthy Environment
• Farming should build and maintain soil health.
• Toxic pesticides and synthetic fertilizers should be eliminated to protect our air, water and soils.
• Agriculture must reduce greenhouse gas emissions to combat climate change.
• Food prices should factor the long-term costs to public health and the environment.
To Improve Personal Health & Public Wellness
• All Georgians should have access to safe, sustainable and locally grown foods.
• The public should have a right to know where and how their food is grown.
• Eating organically grown food reduces exposure to harmful toxins.
• Consumers have the right to choose food that is not genetically engineered.
To Build a Sustainable Farm Economy
• American agriculture should be farmer and community driven.
• Our country’s food system should be safe and transparent.
• Farms should be bio-diverse; monoculture production is not sustainable.
• Farmers should have the right to save seeds and restore genetic diversity.
• Food prices should support the viability of farms and the livelihood of farmers.
To Protect Animal Welfare
• Animals should be raised in a humane manner, free to express their natural instincts.
INDICATORS FOR SUCCESS
• Increase the number of organic and sustainable farmers in rural and urban areas.
• Increase the number of children participating in farm to school programs.
• Increase the number of Georgians eating organically grown, local food.
FIVE KEY STRATEGIES
1. Public Empowerment: Persuade children, adults and institutions to choose, eat and grow, organically grown, local food.
2. Farmer Engagement: Cultivate a thriving and profitable grower community.
3. Partner & Member Mobilization: Mobilize partners and members statewide to achieve success.
4. Public Policy Advocacy: Advocate for policy and market solutions to increase production of and access to safe, organically-grown local food.
5. Organizational Excellence: Foster organizational innovation, leadership, and excellence to achieve the mission of Georgia Organics.