Certification is a way to confirm certain characteristics of a product or service. Examples are Organic, Grass Fed and Animal Welfare Approved. Most certifications are verified by an independent third party.

Why do agricultural enterprises pursue certifications?

  • There is a price premium in the market available for products with the certification
  • Customers and/or buyers  in your market demand production practices meet certain standards
  • A certification differentiates your produce to customers and buyers, and those customers and buyers use that as a criteria for their purchasing decisions
  • Producers with common standards can be counted, which can lead to an allocation of more private and public resources to that producer community

Organic Certification

Frequently Asked Questions

  • History & Background In the United States, the National Organic Program (NOP) is the federal regulatory framework made law in October 2002 and administered by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).   The Organic Food Production Act of 1990 required that the USDA develop national standards for organic products.  Find out more here.
  • National Organic Program Rules If you are interested or plan to become certified organic, you must read and know the details of the program.  The National Organic Program rules can be found here.  The USDA has also now created a National Organic Program Handbook.  A common myth is that is takes three years to certify a farm organic.  It only takes three years if any of the prohibited substances have been applied in the last three years.  Certifiers allow an affidavit by the current land owner and previous land owner if applicable.
  • Certification Cost Share Producers are eligible for as much as 75 percent of the cost (up to $750) through the Georgia Department of Agriculture under the National Organic Certification Cost Share Program.  Georgia Organics is reimbursing the remaining 25 % for farmers getting their certification for the first time. Learn more at   Here’s the the Georgia Department of Agriculture’s Organic Cost Share page.
  • Accredited Certifying Agencies Farms are certified organic by federally accredited certifying agencies, and these certifying agencies can certify farm operations anywhere domestically or internationally.  Certification includes an audit from seed sourcing to harvest and an on-farm site inspection.  Two important points to consider when choosing a certifier are their staff’s experience with your type of farm enterprise and the organic practices associated with that enterprise.  Click here for a list of certifiers.  When looking by state, be sure also look for certifiers in neighboring states.
  • $5,000 Exemption Farms with under $5,000 in revenues are not required to be certified, but are still required to follow the guidelines of thte National Organic Program.    Registration is still required with the State of Georgia, and this form can be found here.
  • State of Georgia Registration The State of Georgia requires that certified organic operations register with the Georgia Department of Agriculture.  Find the registration forms here.
  • Prohibited Substances The organic standards include a National List of Approved and Prohibited Substances for both vegetable and livestock production.  In most cases, synthetic substances are prohibited and nonsynthetic (naturally ocurring) substances are allowed.  The Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) evaluates products for a fee against the requirements of the National Standard.  If a product becomes “OMRI-Listed.”, you can be reasonably certain it is allowed for use, but the OMRI list is not law.  There are products that don’t go through OMRI and are allowed for use. In those cases, the user has some research to do, and in all instances, the certifier has final say.

Tools to Assist with Organic Certification

 Other Certifications

  • American Grassfed
  • Animal Welfare Approved
  • Certified Humane Raised and Handled
  • Certified Naturally Grown

    Certified Naturally Grown (CNG) is a non-profit organization offering certification tailored for small-scale, direct-market farmers and beekeepers using natural methods.

    CNG was born of a commitment to healthy food and healthy soils, and grew out of the belief that we could create something uniquely valuable to family farms and the communities they feed. CNG was founded when the National Organic Program (NOP) took effect in 2002.

    CNG certification model encourages collaboration, transparency, and community involvement. CNG programs are based on the highest ideals of organic farming, and the requirements are reasonable. Many farmers find the peer-review inspection process a valuable learning experience.

    CNG producers don’t use any synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or GMO seeds, just like organic farmers. Certified Naturally Grown is an independent program not affiliated with the NOP.