This set of K – 2nd grade lesson plans provides teachers with sample lesson plans that incorporate food and gardening into Science, Math, Language Arts, Physical Education, and Social Studies over the course of a semester.
Each unit advances students’ understanding of farm to school through planning an edible garden, harvesting and finally eating produce in the classroom. Each lesson plan is paired with appropriate Georgia Performance Standards.
- Basic math skills with the use of money when buying vegetables;
- Understanding weather in relation to crop planning and harvesting;
- Physical education activities;
- Strengthening gardening and agriculture vocabulary; and
- Historical figures in gardening and agriculture such as George Washington Carver, Thomas Jefferson, Jimmy Carter, and Creek and Cherokee Indians.
Also, several lessons are paired with related children’s books. Note: books need to be loaned through your local library or ordered separately.
Click here for a curriculum for teaching organic growing methods. It is geared toward gardeners and small farmers, but any one can benefit from this material.
Lessons created by Stacie Draper.
UNIT 1: PLAN
- Lesson 1a Local Farm Field Trip
Farm Word Wall cards
Activity Farm Field Trip Assessment
- Lesson 1b Seasonal Seed Study
Activity – Weather Survey
Activity – Warm & Cool Weather Crop Chart
Activity – Cool Weather Crop Taste Test
- Lesson 1c Garden Design
Activity – Seed Catalog book
Activity – Garden Plan Graph
UNIT 2: PURCHASE
- Lesson 2a – Planting Calendar
Activity – Warm Weather
Activity – Georgia Planting Calendar
Activity – Calandar Activites
- Lesson 2b – Seed Spacing
Activity – Seed Packet Observation
- Lesson 2c – Garden Menu Math
Activity – Garden Menu Math Worksheets
UNIT 3: PLANT
- Lesson 3a – Garden Warm Up
Activity – Garden Warm Up
- Lesson 3b – Garden Movement Activities
Activity – Garden Movement Cards
Activity – Warm & Cool Weather Crop Cards
- Lesson 3c – Garden Movement Vocabulary
Activity – Gardening Word Cards
UNIT 4: PRODUCE
- Lesson 4a – Diary of a Plant
- Lesson 4b – Seed to Table Sequence
Activity – Sequence Cards and Observation Sheet
- Lesson 4c – Plant Detectives
Activity – Weather Chart
Activity – Garden Inspection