About the Golden Radish Awards
The Golden Radish Award is given to Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in Georgia who are doing extraordinary work in farm to school. The Award is presented by the Georgia Department of Education, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Department of Public Health, the UGA Cooperative Extension, and Georgia Organics. Winning LEAs are recognized by the leaders of these four groups every October.
LEAs are recognized at five levels. Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze Radishes are awarded to recognize LEAs with varying levels of farm to school programs. Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that are just getting started and satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. In 2017, LEAs that satisfy the Gold level for all ten criteria will be awarded a Platinum Radish. An additional award, the Outstanding Award, is given to the district/LEA with the outstanding farm to school program.
The 2017 Golden Radish Award Application
The 2017 Award application is now open! Criteria and documents to assist with completing the application are provided below. The application deadline is June 30.
How to Complete the 2017 Golden Radish Award Application
1. Review the criteria for your size district/LEA
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 1-2 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 3-15 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 16-50 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 51 or More Schools
2. Review the 2017 Golden Radish Award Criteria Explanations. Interested in learning more about how other LEAs/districts met the criteria in prior years? Click here to view examples from previous award winners.
3. Collect relevant district-wide information and documentation for award criteria. Note: Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. Beginning in 2017, districts will only be eligible to receive an Honorary award for two years.
4. Begin the Award application. A Microsoft Word version of the application for data collection purposes may be accessed here. Please note, that all applications must be submitted through the online Award application system.
Congratulations to the 53 school districts awarded at the 2016 Golden Radish Award Ceremony!
Nearly one-third of Georgia school districts were recognized for their farm to school work during the 2015-2016 school year. Awardees collectively:
- Served 39 million school meals that included local food
- Held 8,246 taste tests of fresh, local food to students
- Taught 3,406 garden, food and nutrition lessons to students
- Tended 575 edible school gardens
- Hosted 1,935 hands-on cooking activities with students
- Incorporated farm to school into 390 staff professional development opportunities
- Championed and sustained district-wide policies or procedures into 29 schools districts