The Golden Radish Award is given to Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in Georgia who are doing extraordinary work in farm to school. The Award is presented by the Georgia Department of Education, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Department of Public Health, the UGA Cooperative Extension, and Georgia Organics. Winning LEAs are recognized by the leaders of these five groups every October.
LEAs are recognized at five levels. Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze Radishes are awarded to recognize LEAs with varying levels of farm to school programs. Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that are just getting started and satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. LEAs that satisfy the Gold level for all ten criteria are awarded a Platinum Radish. An additional award, the Outstanding Award, is given to the district/LEA with the outstanding farm to school program.
Learn about the impact the Golden Radish Awards has on state wide farm to school activities by reading our Farm to School Program Report.
Congratulations to the 75 school districts awarded at the 2017 Golden Radish Award Ceremony!
More than 40% of Georgia school districts were recognized for their farm to school work during the 2016-2017 school year. Awardees collectively:
- Served over 97 million meals that featured locally grown and raised foods
- Conducted 8,204 taste tests
- Taught 7,263 standards based lessons
- Tended 885 school gardens
- Engaged students in 3,794 hands on cooking activities
- Involved parents and community members in 1,339 farm to school activities
Tift County Schools was recognized as the 2017 Outstanding Farm to School District.
About the 2018 Golden Radish Award Application
How to Complete the Golden Radish Award Application
Please note the below documents are for planning purposes only. The online application will open in April 2018 with a June 30 deadline.
1. Review the 2018 Award Criteria for your size district/LEA
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 1-2 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 3-15 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 16-50 Schools
- Criteria For Districts and LEAs of 51 or More Schools
2. Review the 2018 Golden Radish Award Criteria Explanations. Interested in learning more about how other LEAs/districts met the criteria in prior years? Click here to view examples from previous award winners.
3. Collect relevant district-wide information and documentation for award criteria. Note: Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. Districts are only be eligible to receive an Honorary award for two years.
4. View this word document version of the 2018 Application. Please note, that this document is for planning purposes only and all final applications must be submitted through the online Award application system.