The Golden Radish Award is given to Local Educational Agencies (LEAs) in Georgia who are doing extraordinary work in farm to school. The Award is presented by the Georgia Department of Education, Georgia Department of Agriculture, Georgia Department of Public Health, the UGA Cooperative Extension, Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning, and Georgia Organics. Winning LEAs are recognized by the leaders of these six groups every October.
LEAs are recognized at five levels. Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze Radishes are awarded to recognize LEAs with varying levels of farm to school programs. Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that are just getting started and satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. LEAs that satisfy the Gold level for all ten criteria are awarded a Platinum Radish. An additional award, the Outstanding Award, is given to the district/LEA with the outstanding farm to school program. Learn about the impact of the Awards on state wide farm to school activities by reading the 2014-2017 Golden Radish Award Evaluation
Additionally, each Golden Radish Award partner organization recognizes and celebrates particular aspects of farm to school success through Farm to School Innovation Best Practice Awards:
- Georgia Organics recognizes a school district that is working with sustainable and/or Certified Organic farms through procurement and/or education with the Organic Radish Award. Read more about the 2018 winner Warren County School System here.
- The Georgia Department of Education presents an Award to a Georgia farmer working with school districts.
- The Georgia Department of Public Health presents an Award for Innovation in Farm to School Partnerships.
- The Georgia Department of Agriculture presents a Georgia Grown Award to an educator.
- The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension presents an Award for school garden best practices.
- The Bright from the Start: Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning presents an Award for early care education providers exhibiting excellence in Farm to School.
About the Application Process
The application for the 2019 Golden Radish Award application is closed.
1. Review the Award Criteria for your size district/LEA:
2. Review the Golden Radish Award Criteria Explanations. Interested in learning more about how other LEAs met the criteria in prior years? Click here to view best practices from the 2019 Golden Radish Awardees.
3. Collect relevant district-wide information and documentation for award criteria. Be sure to provide information on how your district works with sustainable and/or Certified Organic farms, innovative ways you partner with your community or utilize your school gardens, and any extraordinary farmers you work with to be eligible for an additional Best Practice Award. Note: Honorary Radishes are awarded to programs that satisfy at least 1 criterion within the Bronze level or higher. Districts are only be eligible to receive an Honorary award for two years.
4. The application will be available online in April 2020. For planning purposes, you may download a word document version of the 2019 Application.
5. Questions? Review these Frequently Asked Questions or contact Farm to School Director Kimberly Della Donna at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.