Thank you to the over 550 participants of the 2016 Leaf it to Spinach Campaign!
What is October Farm to School Month?
Each year, Georgia Organics coordinates a state wide campaign to get kids across Georgia eating, growing, and learning about a new fruit or vegetable during October Farm to School Month.
Click below to view resources from previous years’ campaigns.
When is the year’s campaign announced?
Each year’s fruit or vegetable theme is announced in July.
How do I participate in October Farm to School Month in my school or community?
1) Individuals can sign up on our website July through October to receive electronic resources via email. Electronic resources include the year’s selected fruit or vegetable themed lesson plans, activities, how-to guides on planting/harvesting, videos, and more to help you plan and implement your October Farm to School Month activities. The first 300 people to sign-up receive a free packet of seeds and a Georgia Planting and Harvest Calendar for school gardens.
2) Plan your school’s October Farm to School Month activities by using the electronic resources that sent to you via email.
- Form a leadership team (your class, PTA members, other teachers, etc.) to help choose and plan activities.
- Review the activities and lesson plans included in the electronic resources provided to you via email. Do you want to prepare a new recipe? Plant the fruit or vegetable in different conditions and see how it grows best? Host a taste test? Grow and taste different varieties? The possibilities are endless!
- Connect with cafeteria staff to discuss serving the selected food as part of a school meal in conjunction with your October Farm to School Month plans.
3) Implement your activity!
Don’t forget to take pictures and post them to social media.
4) Tell us about your activities!
Want to learn more about October Farm to School Month? Click here for information from the National Farm to School Network.
Questions? Contact our Farm to School Coordinator at email@example.com.