Announcing the 2018 October Farm to School Month theme- Kickin’ it with Kale! Congratulations to Berrien Middle School FCCLA students for creating the winning theme name.
Registration and resources for Kickin’ it with Kale will be available in July. Check back here to sign up!
What is October Farm to School Month?
Each year, Georgia Organics coordinates a state wide campaign to get kids across Georgia eating, growing, and learning about a new fruit or vegetable during October Farm to School Month.
Click below to view standards based lessons, activities, kid friendly recipes, and more from previous years’ campaigns.
- Make Room for Legumes (2017)
- Leaf it to Spinach (2016)
- Rooting for Carrots (2015)
- Grow Radish Grow (2014)
- Lettuce Try it (2013)
When is each year’s campaign announced?
Each year’s fruit or vegetable theme is announced in May. Registration and resources become available in July.
How do I participate in October Farm to School Month in my school or community?
1) Individuals can sign up on our website July through October to receive electronic resources via email. Electronic resources include the year’s selected fruit or vegetable themed lesson plans, activities, how-to guides on planting/harvesting, videos, and more to help you plan and implement your October Farm to School Month activities. The first 300 people to sign-up receive a free packet of seeds, washable legume tattoos, and a Georgia Planting and Harvest Calendar for school gardens.
2) Plan your school’s October Farm to School Month activities by using the electronic resources that sent to you via email. Some ideas for planning activities:
- Form a leadership team (your class, PTA members, other teachers, etc.) to help choose and plan activities.
- Review the activities and lesson plans included in the electronic resources provided to you via email. Do you want to prepare a new recipe? Plant the fruit or vegetable in different conditions and see how it grows best? Host a taste test? Grow and taste different varieties? The possibilities are endless!
- Connect with cafeteria staff to discuss serving the selected food as part of a taste test or school meal in conjunction with your October Farm to School Month plans.
3) Implement your activity!
Don’t forget to take pictures and post them to social media.
4) Tell us about your activities! Use the themed hashtag to share your activities on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Each week during October we’ll be following along on social media and select a winner of a $25 Cook’s Warehouse gift card. We’ll also have an overall grand prize winner of a 2-day education pass to the Annual Georgia Organics Conference AND a free month of PeachDish. Be sure to check our weekly emails to see if you are the winner! (Please note, individuals must register to participate via the sign up link above to be eligible to win).
Want to learn more about October Farm to School Month? Click here for information from the National Farm to School Network.
Questions? Contact our Farm to School Manager at email@example.com.