2015 October Farm to School Month Campaign
Rooting for Carrots
Don’t forget to share photos of your activities on social media using #RootingforCarrots.
- General and Promotional Resources
- Carrot Lesson Plans & Activities
- School Garden Resources
- Cooking and Taste Tests
- Rooting for Carrots logo files
General and Promotional Resources
- What is Rooting for Carrots?: A general overview of October Farm to School Month and Rooting for Carrots to share with your school community.
- Carrot Varieties: Explore the various sizes, shapes, and colors of carrots.
- Carrot-Themed Books
- “The Carrot Seed” by Ruth Krauss
- “Carrot Soup” by John Segal
- “The Giant Carrot” by Jan Peck
- “Carrots Grow Underground” by Mari Schuh
- “Muncha! Muncha! Muncha” by Candace Fleming
- “Tops and Bottoms” by Janet Stevens
- Sample school announcement, school newsletter blurb, and email to parents to help spread the word about your Farm to School Month activities and events.
- Media Alert for Press: Send this to your local news outlets BEFORE your event to alert them to something they should cover!
- Sample Press Release: Send this to your local news outlets AFTER your event to spread the word about what you did.
- Fun Facts (and a few jokes!): Botanical, historical, health, Georgia-specific facts about carrots
- Rooting for Carrots Pinterest board: Pinterest is filled with fun, carrot-themed activities, recipes, and lessons. Check out these pins and share your favorite sites with us to add to our board!
- Good Food Guide includes a list of farmers, farmers markets, and restaurants in your area who grow, serve, and promote fresh, local food. A farmer or chef from one of these places could help with your Rooting for Carrots activities.
- Farmers Markets: Students can celebrate Rooting for Carrots outside of the school day, too! Check out these resources to help connect students to farmers markets, including markets that double the value of EBT/SNAP benefits through Wholesome Wave Georgia and markets that give first time shoppers $5 free to spend at the market through Georgia Organics’ My Market Club.
Carrot Lesson Plans & Activities
School Garden Resources
- How to Grow Carrots
- How to Build Raised Beds for a School Garden
- Georgia Planting and Harvest Calendar
- Tips and Techniques for Teaching Outdoors
- Food Safety Tips for School Gardens
- More about School Gardens
Cooking and Taste Tests
- Carrot Recipes: Simple, kid-friendly recipes
- How to Host a Carrot Taste Test & Taste Test Survey
- More about Cooking with Kids
How to Grow Carrots
How to Harvest Carrots
Bright Ideas for Taste Test Success
Rooting for Carrots logo files
Click on the images below to download the Rooting for Carrots logos for use on promotional materials. (If your browser opens the file as a new browser page, right click on the image and click “Save As”.)