The Georgia Farm to School Alliance is a network that joins statewide agencies working in food, farming, and nutrition to coalesce resources and support for farm to school, and to create a dialogue for building statewide programming. The Alliance also hosts the annual Georgia Farm to School Summit. Read more about the Alliance’s 2017- 2020 Strategic Plan here.
Vision: Our vision is to enhance the health of Georgia’s children and communities by increasing the consumption and awareness of nutritious, locally grown foods.
Mission: Our mission is to connect schools and local farmers for the purpose of:
- Serving healthy meals in schools that include locally grown, raised, and produced* foods;
- Increasing children’s understanding of agriculture, health, and nutrition through experiential education;
- Utilizing school gardens to teach core subjects linked to state and national standards;
- Supporting Georgia farmers by expanding local markets;
- Educating children and creating healthy eating environments; and
- Helping children develop healthy lifelong eating habits.
*Produced refers to products made locally from primarily locally grown or raised ingredients
In 2017 the Alliance set a plan to measure the collective impact of our work. At the end of calendar year 2018, we collected school year 2017-2018 data by surveying all members and compiling data reported by Golden Radish Awardees and Committee members. This first-ever, Georgia Farm to School Alliance Annual Report summarizes the collective impact of 12 Georgia Farm to School Alliance members working together for school year 2017-2018.
Want to learn more about the Georgia Farm to School Alliance? Contact Kimberly@georgiaorganics.org
Alliance Members Include:
- Action for Healthy Kids
- Alliance for a Healthier Generation
- Captain Planet Foundation
- Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Strong4Life
- FoodCorps Georgia
- Georgia 4-H
- Georgia Department of Agriculture
- Georgia Department of Education
- Georgia Department of Public Health
- Georgia Health Policy Institute
- Georgia Farm Bureau
- Georgia FCCLA
- Georgia FFA Association
- Georgia Fruit and Vegetable Growers Association
- Georgia Organics
- Georgia School Nutrition Association
- Royal Food Service
- University of Georgia Cooperative Extension
- University of Georgia, Crop and Soil Sciences
- USDA Food and Nutrition Service, Southeast